The Cameron Buck
By Robert Cameron Jr

It was the morning of November 22nd, 2002 and a 5-inch blanket of snow covered the ground of Northern Maine. Now,for any deer hunter of the "big woods," a blanket of the white stuff is always a welcomed site. For me, snow is used like forensic evidence to determine the locality and timing of a deer's presence, and on this particular morning, the evidence had crossed my path in the form of a fresh deer track.

I was scouting out an old logging road in an area that I had been monitoring all season. A light and steady rain fell from the sky, but this did not discourage me from pursuing my passion for hunting the elusive whitetail. I knew there were deer in this particular area, and this was confirmed with fresh tracks crossing the road. I could tell by the size and depth of the track, that it certainly belonged to a mature whitetail. I decided to follow them and see where they would take me.

Click Here To Subscribe!

The deer crossed and headed for an area that several years ago had been commercially thinned. This particular area was beginning to regenerate, and the thinnings were growing up with a mixture of thick alder and fur. The area offered excellent shelter and browse for deer I remembered thinking that although it was raining: it was making for good still-hunt conditions. The soft and soggy snow muffled each footstep I took.

For about an hour, I scouted around the area that the deer tracks had led me. Then without a warning, a deer jumps from its bed. When the deer jumped, it was only about a hundred feet away. I caught glimpses of it moving through the tree growth, and it was then that I saw the right side of a mature buck trotting off. Without giving away my age, my 40 plus years of experience has told me that shooting at a running deer is not wise. I could also tell by the deer's body language, that it was not on "high alert." The buck did not blow, and there was no "whiteflag" bouncing from its rump. I dedided the best thing to do was to stay put.

I flipped open the covers of my riflescope and wiped the moisture from its lenses. I waited for about a minute and then reached for my grunt call. I called out about 4 or 5 short grunts and continued to wait. Suddenly, the buck appeared in front of me broadside, however the trees between the deer and myself were too thick to offer a clean shot. The deer stood for several seconds and then trotted off perpendicular to the direction I was facing. I truly thought this buck was gone for good, but I wasn't ready to give up.

I grabbed for my grunt call and called for a second time. On completion of the last grunt, I glanced to my right. The buck had circled downwind from my position, and there he stood at about a 45 degree angle. He had his head bent backward, and his nose was scanning the air in an attempt to identify both my grunt call and cover scent. This was it. I had a clear shot and I was gonna take it.

I raised my Ruger .270, as I pivoted my body towards the deer. Within a split second, I had the bruin's chest in my cross hairs. I squeezed the triggerl The buck fell from the bullet's impact. As Iran up to him, I gave him a second shot, there was no was I was letting this buck get away.

As I stood there looking down at the deer I had just shot, it was then that I realized how monstrous the rack of this buck was. This 214 pounder had a 20-point rack with and outer spread of 25 and 3/8 inches. This was the biggest buck (rack wise) I had ever shot, and it made the Boone and Crockett with an official non-typicl buck from the "big woods" of Northern Maine. Only the experience itself can truly tell the story.

CAPTION FOR PICTURE ABOVERobert Cameron with his Buck, the #1 non-typical of Maine for 2002, Boone and Crockett official score of 197-4/8.

Click Here For Past Feature Stories!!

Feature Story |  Current News |  Photo Gallery |  Advertising |  Subscribe Today |  Outdoor Resources |  Home